NEPTA wishes to encourage the efforts of its members’ students through awards in the areas of original composition and jazz improvisation.
Alice Procter Award*
One $100 award for outstanding original composition in the classical style.
We proudly announce the winner of the Alice Procter Award who performed in the NEPTA Composition Recital on March 1, 2020:
- Leander Frank, student of Nina Grimaldi
Many thanks to Kathryn Rosenbach, Composition Award Chair.
Louise Hodder Olsen Award*
One $50 award for creativity and performance in the style of jazz or pop music.
Eligibility: Student must either perform his/her own original jazz/pop-style composition in the Composition Recital, or perform his/her own arrangement of a jazz/pop piece in the Jazz/Pop Recital.
- A hard copy of the score must be mailed to the Louise Hodder Olsen Award Chair: Kathryn Rosenbach, 27 Trowbridge St #24, Belmont MA 02478, postmarked by the recital application deadline date, and
- Student’s teacher must check “Louise Hodder Olsen Award” on the application.
We proudly announce the winner of the Louise Hodder Olsen Award who performed in the NEPTA Composition Recital on March 1, 2020:
- Carly Heslop, student of Diana Tetzlaff
Many thanks to Diane Anderson, Recital Chair and Kathryn Rosenbach, Composition Scholarship Chair.
Nancy Oliva Awards
Established to encourage the artistic achievements of students of NEPTA’s independent teachers who perform in the NEPTA Intermediate I Recital. Three $35 awards have been given to 7th graders.
We proudly announce the winners of the Nancy Oliva Award who performed in the NEPTA Intermediate I Recitals on January 12, 2020:
- Julia Gendin, student of Tanya Schwartzman
- Richard Liu, student of Valerie Henkin
- Neil Nori, student of Natalia Harlap
Parima Kesa (Honorable Mention) student of Veda M. Kogan
Arav Santhanam (Honorable Mention) student of Helena Vesterman
Many thanks to Karin Kydland, Recital Chair. Thanks also to Nina Grimaldi and Diana Tetzlaff, Nancy Oliva Scholarship Committee.
Wanda Paik Awards
Established to encourage the artistic achievements of students of NEPTA’s independent teachers who performed in the NEPTA Intermediate II Recitals.
We proudly announce the winners of the Wanda Paik Award who performed in the NEPTA Intermediate II Recitals on February 9, 2020:
- Maxwell Huang, student of Faina Kofman
- Daniel Zhou, student of Natalia Harlap
- Edward Zhang, student of Valerie Henkin
- Michael Yang, student of Dr. Nilly Epstein Shilo
Danny Li (Honorable Mention) student of Tanya Schwartzman
Alex Wu (Honorable Mention) student of Eleanor V. McLaughlin
A. Ramón Rivera Contemporary Music Awards
$100 for the best performance of the required contemporary piece in the Ruth Davidson Competition.
$150 for the best performance of the required contemporary piece in the Alice Hamlet Competition
Margaret C. Bachelder Romantic Music Award
Established in memory of NEPTA past president Peg Bachelder, who passed away in 2012.
A $500 award will be given for the best performance of a Romantic work in either the Ruth Davidson Competition or the Alice Hamlet Competition.
Four $100 awards have been granted to 8th graders this year:
Miriam Pizer Award
Established in 2007 in memory of Miriam Pizer. A $250 award will be given to a student in grades K-5 who is in need of assistance for lesson tuition or other essential expenses.
1) Each teacher may submit one student’s name to Carol Chaffee, Scholarship Chair.
2) Deadline is Oct 15th. Winner will be selected by lottery during a regular NEPTA meeting. The teacher will be notified. Winner’s name will be kept private.
Eight $150 awards are available to students in need.
To qualify: a brief note (e-mail is acceptable) from the teacher stating the family’s need and reasons for financial assistance should be sent to Carol Chaffee, Scholarship Chair. All documentation will be confidential. Student must not be older than 18.
*Winners of these awards must perform at NEPTA’s Annual meeting & Award Recital