Open to students in grades 11 and 12. Two entrants per teacher.
Competition playing time: 21 min.
Registration fee: $110
Competition chair: Jia Shi firstname.lastname@example.org
(Application deadline: March 18, 2021)
- Applicant must have studied since September of the current year with a NEPTA member in good standing (dues received by Sept. 30th) and is required to play in the Intermediate II, Senior or 20th/21st Century recital.
- Competition winners are required to play in NEPTA’s Annual Meeting: Monday, May 17, 2021, 9:30 pa – 12:00 pm. Awards will be presented at that time. Award money will be forfeited if the student winner cannot perform at this recital.
- Past winners (1st place) are not eligible to enter. However, past 2nd and 3rd place winners may still enter the competition.
Repertoire Requirements: Repertoire must be performed by memory and must include one work, or group of works from three of the following five periods (no concerti). One of these selections must be from either the Baroque or Classical period:
1. Baroque (written before 1750)
2. Classical: The Classical period for these purposes is defined as a movement of a sonata, a set of theme and variations, or a rondo by Haydn, Mozart, or Beethoven; or a sonata movement by Schubert. (Other works by Schubert should be considered for the Romantic period.)
5. 20th/21st Century
One additional required work, selected by the “Post-1950 Repertoire” committee (memorization of this work is optional): Nicholas Vines “Indie Ditties”, Movement 1: Grease on the Handlebars is available for purchase here.
First Prize: $350; Second: $325; Third: $300
Please note: PREVIOUS FIRST PLACE WINNERS ARE INELIGIBLE FOR THE SAME COMPETITION.
Due to the evolving situation surrounding the recent Corona virus outbreak, we will NOT be conducting this year’s Hamlet-Davidson Competitions at M. Steinert & Sons but instead will do it online by video submission. We do this out of an abundance of caution for everyone involved as we do not wish to cancel this event. Please download new requirements for the Alice Hamlet Competition (grades 11-12) for participation in the competition.
A. Ramón Rivera Contemporary Music Awards
Margaret C. Bachelder Romantic Music Award
Established in memory of NEPTA past president Peg Bachelder, who passed away in 2012.
A $500 award will be given for the best performance of a Romantic work in either the Ruth Davidson Competition or the Alice Hamlet Competition.